Question : Problem: Where do you place the cross over cable?

I am so confused.  Cable is Cat5e
Set up:
Smart Switch(Auto Sensing)-->Patch Cable(A)-->faceplate -->Patch Panel-->Patch Cable(B)-->Smart Switch (Auto Sensing)

Do you make Patch Cable(A) cross over, make Patch Cable(B) cross over, or cross both A and B?
Since both switchs are smart switch, do we need to cross over any cable or use straight through?

Does auto sensing mean you don't have to plug cross over into a certain port, but you still need to apply MDI-MDX principles?

Thanks

Answer : Problem: Where do you place the cross over cable?

The general rule of thumb is to use a crossover cable betwen devices that are in the same layer of the OSI model and use a straight-through cable for devices that reside in different layers of the OSI model. For example, routers are in the layer 3 of the OSI model, so a router to router connection would require a crossover cable. Switches/Hubs are in the layer 2 of the OSI model, so switch to switch would require a crossover cable. Treat end user devices such as a PCs as layer 3 devices. So a PC (layer 3) to switch (layer 2) would require a straight through cable because they reside in different layers of the OSI model. If one of the devices is auto-sense then you don't have to worry about it and simply use a straight through cable.
   In your scenerio, I would simple leave everything straight-through due to both devices are auto-sense. If they were not auto-sense, I would make (patch cable B) a crossover just because it seems to be at the main 'rack/patch panel' area of the network. I usually visually mark any crossover cables so the next person can easily identify what it is.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us