Question : Problem: Losing Domain over wireless

I've started a new job and have walked intoa aproblem that has plagued my employers for at least two years.  Wireless laptops will randomly lose the ability to connect to the domain.  This is a school system.  Laptops are kept together in mobile carts to be used by students in classrooms.  Sometimes all of the laptops will connect flawlessly the next day all but three will.  The next day all but a different two or three.  We have over 30 schools and this happens randomly at all of them.  I have the site techs checking the logs right now, but I was hoping somebody out there knows what this is so I can get it fixed quick.  These are XP SP2 laptops connecting to a Win2K3 domain. Mixed hardware HP and Dell.  The network people tell me that this is not a wireless issue and that all of their equipment is fine.  Thank you in advance for any help. JM

Answer : Problem: Losing Domain over wireless

It sounds like it is taking your wireless network too long to authenticate before users login.  I would try, as a test, to remove any encryption from your wireless network.  In order to secure your wireless network, remove the SSID broadcast and setup the laptop wireless connections manually.  This should allow the security because the network ID isn't broadcast.  If your still concerned with security, setup mac filters on your AP.  This should allow your wifi cards to access the network.

Josh
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us