Question : Problem: How do i create a separate backup EXEC network for backup traffic

Hello,

We are using Backup Exec 11d. I am wanting to use the spare GIG NIC cards in our Windows 2003 servers for a separate backup network. I have a windows 2003 domain and our file server happens to be our PDC.  So far I have the physical backup network in place. I have all the cables ran into a gigabit switch and plugged into a spare GIG nics on each server to be backed up. I have assigned a static IP of 192.168.15.x on each of these nics. Our main network range is 192.168.1.x

I was planning on just changing the HOST file of the backup server to point to the  machine names at the static backup IP (i.e. 192.168.15.x) and then use backup exec to route its backups using the alternate nic card. However our backup server is on the domain so I am going to assume that this will cause the backup server to only use the backup network for its communications with the PDC. Im sure this will cause a lot of problems.

My questions is, how can I use a separate network (192.168.15.x) to run my backup traffic without affecting my domain traffic (192.168.1.x) and domain functionality for my backup server?

Note: I am still backing up servers on our WAN and that traffic needs to be routed in/out the 1.x network.

Thanks,

Steve

Answer : Problem: How do i create a separate backup EXEC network for backup traffic

Just go into Tools/Options/Network and Security. Select the Network Interface on the 192.168.15.x network from the Network dropdown.

If you have server that have no interface on the backup network then also select "Allow use of any available network interface, subnet, or protocol for remote agents not bound to the  above network interface, subnet, or protocol".

This will take care of all new jobs - i.e. all new jobs will use the interface on the 192.168.15.x network to do the backup.

For any existing jobs, you need to go into the "Network and Security" options of the existing job setup and do the same thing.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us