Question : Problem: laptop_recommendation

i want to buy a laptop for my wife for a range of $1000.

she only uses internet mostly.

she wants nice look, easy keyboard, 15 inch nice screen.
a) iam undecided between toshiba, HP, dell and sony. would any one better than the other including support?

b) shall i get windows xp or vista. i might run a business application on it.?

c)  shall i buy from a store or on the internet?

d) do some laptops come with new glass display instead of LCD.

e) is it good to buy warranty with those?

f) what RAM size, HDD size, CPU do you recommend?

g) Shall i consider Apple or it is not easier or better than windows systems.

Answer : Problem: laptop_recommendation

a) Toshiba - no significant experience.  HP - hate... if you speak Hindi, you can consider them because if you ever call support it's easier to speak to them in their native language,  Dell - don't deal much with their consumer side, I use the business side most of the time.  If you have a company or a friend with a company, get a Dell rep and have them configure a latitude laptop for you - the Dell rep configured price will almost always be cheaper (by 5-20%) than the web price.  Sony - support sucks.  Great LOOK, but I hate the feel and I don't trust the support and warranty policies.

b) I still recommend avoiding Vista - do so by buying a business line system that includes an XP downgrade (Latitudes from Dell are business line systems).  Of course, you're only XP choice is XP Pro which tacks on about $75-100 to the price.

c) See my comment on Dells above.  Would not recommend buying from a store - almost always too expensive.  Online is generally best - except with Dell as I mentioned (although CERTAIN dell models cannot be discounted or discounted much, including the XPS line.

d) The two display types I've seen are Glossy and Matte.  I prefer the Matte because it's easier to read in daylight - the Glossy gets very reflective and can be difficult to see.

e) ALWAYS get a 3 year warranty and Accidental damage protection with the laptop - from Dell, this will cost $300-400.  But consider that laptops travel.  Things spill.  People forget them on top of their cars or accidently sit on them... Accidental damage and a 3 year warranty from Dell will have the system fixed in 48 business hours, ON-SITE.

f) For XP, 2 GB, whatever - but get no less than 5400 RPM (preferrably 7200).  CPU depends on what she uses it for.  For internet, virtually any CPU will do.  I'd suggest a a dual core system, but low end - 1.86-2 GHz.

g) Apple is fine... but determine what she wants.  Apple is a different system, more costly, and cannot run Windows programs (there are SOME programs with apple versions and there are ways installing a copy of Windows on a Mac so it has both, but then you're adding complexity.  In general, people think apple systems are easier.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us