Question : Problem: Power problems with Dell Inspiron 5150

Have client with Dell laptop out of warranty.  Laptop will not power on.  Took ac adapter and tried in another identical laptop and it worked; it began to charge the battery.  I also tried to switch out the battery with the one from the other laptop known to be good and it worked; the laptop finally booted. However, the battery would not start charging even with known good ac adapters.  I think the battery itself just is dead.  I alsao think that the power port for the ac adapter has an issue.  When I pull the battery out of the laptop, you can see the power and hdd led lights flickering.  As far as the inability for the laptop in question to boot would lend itself for something internal to be wrong with the ac port. on the back.  I need to narrow down the possibilities so that I can help the customer.

Answer : Problem: Power problems with Dell Inspiron 5150

The port can come loose (unsoldered) from the motherboard which would cause a problem such as this.  If you can solder I would open it up and take a close look at the connection.
replacing the motherboard would fix it;  http://search.ebay.com/Dell-Inspiron-5150-motherboard_W0QQbsZSearchQQcatrefZC6QQcoactionZcompareQQcoentrypageZsearchQQcopagenumZ1QQfposZQ5AIPQ2fPostalQQfromZR10QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQsacatZQ2d1QQsadisZ200QQsargnZQ2d1QQsaslcZ2QQsbrftogZ1QQsofocusZunknown
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us