Question : Problem: HP SmartArray - Is there a way to re-mirror a broken set ?

Hi,
I like to know how to re-mirror or re-build a broken array in a different slot as I can't find anything that allows me to nominate a drive to be used.

Normally if one replaces the drive in the broken mirror the controller asks if ok to start rebuilding and if one OKs it, it starts the rebuild.

In this case the rebuild is carried out in a different machine, but same controller and drives. In this case the controller will not ask me the question and it will not start the rebuild process. Can I beleive that there is no way to nominate an available drive to be added to the mirror for rebuild?

Is there a way?  

The actual situation is the following: we had a mirror with 2 drives on Machine A. The drives were in Slot1 and Slot3 of the backplane. The mirror has been broken and drive 2 (Slot3)  is now in Machine B in Slot3, same P600 controller. I have inserted a drive (identical) into Slot1 of Machine B but can't get the mirror to rebuild.

Honstly this is pathetic. Further more, I searched all the help of the controller and interestingly it has info on all other crap, but no mention on how to rebuild a broken array.
Can someone confirm please?
TIA,
Tom

Answer : Problem: HP SmartArray - Is there a way to re-mirror a broken set ?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00378986/c00378986.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN might help. There is a fairly recently method of remirroring using the ACU booted from a CD containing the ACU - probably the SmartStart CD under maintain server.

Before this method it was sometimes impossible to re-establish a mirror because automatic rebuild requires the correct slots (which curiously should work in your case anyway) which was sometimes impossible if a SCSI ID changed through a backplane problem>

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us