Question : Problem: What is the proper way to move itunes music, games, and smartlists to another computer?

I've got a customer who has iTunes on her Pc and is currently storing her itunes music files (and games and videos) on their server. I want to move her files to a locally attached USB hard drive so she's not, in effect, streaming her songs across their LAN all day.

I've already physically moved the files to her local USB hard drive but the games are missing and so are her smart playlists so it's obviously not as straight-forward as I'd hoped the migration process would be. All her itunes files are still on the server so I can always set it back to the way it was to begin with.

anyone know the proper steps to move itunes content to another drive or computer? Thanks.

Answer : Problem: What is the proper way to move itunes music, games, and smartlists to another computer?

WineGeek,

Are the games and "smart" playlists part of iTunes too?  I haven't used iTunes for games and know about their playlists but am drawing a bit of a blank on what smart playlists are.

Assuming they are and after reading your comments I think you are just missing the library files.  If you go into iTunes on the new PC does it show any songs in the Library?  What operating system is on each PC?

Look for an iTunes folder in the user's My Music folder (e.g. C:\Documents and Settings\\My Documents\My Music\iTunes).  In that folder you should find the music folder and files inside that folder.  There will also be some other folders.  2 important files that are in that folder are "iTunes Music Library.xml" and "iTunes Library.itl".  Move both of those files to the new computer in its corresponding iTunes folder.  You may have to open the iTunes program once on the new computer for that user folder to be created.

If that doesn't move everything (games and smart playlists) then let me know what other files or folders are in the User's iTunes folder.  Basically that folder can be moved to the new computer in its entirety but I will be happy to confirm and specific folders/files you ask about.

Let me know if you have any questions or need more information.

b0lsc0tt
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us