Question : Problem: What does solid red Error light on SCSI drive mean?

Hello Experts,

I noticed that our companies DB server has a solid red error light on only one drive and am curious what this indicates, and how to fix it

The details:
Hardware: HP Proliant ML570 G2 Server
Dual SCSI cages A and B contain 5 disks in each cage - labeled 0-4
The drive in location 4 of cage A has the red indicator on solid.
All other drives in both cage A and B show a solid green indicator.

When I check the disk properties under Disk Management within Windows it shows there are 3 drives all indicating healthy.
Disk 0 - Basic
Disk 1 - Dynamic
Disk 2 - Dynamic

Should there be a 4th drive shown? If so, why doesn't the redundant disk show up as it has a green indicator?
The strange thing is that nothing is down as far as network services, so evidently this isn't a critical issue or perhaps this was being used for storage, I don't know.

Is there a way you can open an interface of some kind so you can actually look at all the drives instead of the basic Disk Management console that shows very little information about the actual disks installed.

Thanks for any help

Answer : Problem: What does solid red Error light on SCSI drive mean?

When you look at the drives in Disk Administrator, you are seeng the drive setup as it is being logically represented to Windows by the RAID Controller.  To check the status of the drive, you'd use the RAID controller's admin utility.

A red light means that the drive has failed and that the array is in fault mode.  You really should replace that drive as soon as possible.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us