Question : Problem: What is the best backup drive option for a server?

I hvae a client, which is a medical office, that has a database server, which will hold about 20GB of data (including scanned forms) annually. The data could grow to about 60GB over three years.

My personal preference has always been to use REV Drives, which I have set up on a number of occassions and they work great. Never had an issue with it. I also know it's only 36GB, but offers 90GB compressed, and that too has worked well for me.

However the database manufacturer has recommended using external removable USB drives as backups.

My set up with the REV drives was to have three disks on a rotational basis. If the client were to do the same with USB drives, he would need three (which is not a problem) but then it would have to be disocnnected from the server everyday, and the next one connected.

I am not too crazy about that since it means hardware been connected and disconnected all the time.

The server is a Windows 2003 Standard server and I will be using Symantec (Veritas) backup software.

What solution is the best to use? Any other option? I would also consider tape drives, but would prefer only external ones, so it could easily be moved to another server for disaster recovery if necessary.

Thank you.

Answer : Problem: What is the best backup drive option for a server?

Other than an online backup service or your REV drive solution, you could go with an off-site tape vaulting company such as Iron Mountain.  For a minor charge they can pick up your backup tapes every day, once or twice a week, etc. and store them in a safe for you.  An external DAT72 tape drive is about $500 and should connect to any server you have via USB, SATA, or SCSI depending on the model.  The DAT72 tapes hold about 72 GB compressed data.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us