Question : Problem: Can't install video card, Hardware ID Missing windows cannot identfy the device plugged into the video card...

I'm running a 32 bit Vista Ultimate with 2 Gigs of RAM on a 200 GB SATA Seagate drive.  My motherboard is an Intel, model D101GGC, and the graphics interface is PCI Express.  My PSU is about 1 year old, 550 watts.

I received this "Hardware ID Missing" error last week.  I had a 256 meg nVidia GeForce 7300GT video card installed at the time.  I thought maybe the onboard fan had frozen up, so I purchased a Visiontek ATi Radeon HD4760 1 Gigabyte video card.  I've had nothing but trouble trying to install this card.  I've tried the Calatlyst software that came on disk, as well as downloading the 9.1 version from ATi's website, and the 8.1 version from Visiontek's website, all "Vista" Compatible.

I've seen the "Hardware ID Missing" issue come up a couple of times during one of my many attempts to installs the HD4760 card.  A couple of times it says ATi driver not installed, after I ran a Catalyst full installation.

Currently, Device Manager shows the ATi Radeon HD4760 as the dispaly adapter, with and error code and explanation of "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)".

What should I try next?

Answer : Problem: Can't install video card, Hardware ID Missing windows cannot identfy the device plugged into the video card...

Browsing on this error "Hardware ID Missing" doesn't return much that's useful.

Have you got a spare hard disk you can drop temporarily into this machine and install an OS.  Something like Windows 2000 or XP to see what that does.  If that gives proper colour then there's something terribly wrong with your software.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us