Question : Problem: Error occured using convert.exe on a FAT32 drive under XP...file system now reported as RAW

I have 2 physical drives on a Windows XP machine.

both were FAT32.  I ran convert.exe on d:(nonsystem).  I was asked something about dropping handles to continue, said OK to that, and received an error message I can't now recall.

I ran convert.exe on c:, and received a message along the lines of "can't do it now, it's the system drive, do you want to do it  on reboot?"  to which I said yes.

On reboot, c: is NTFS, works fine.  d: shows up in BIOS and in My Computer/Device Manager, etc...but shows the file system as RAW, and attempts to access it return the error message "wrong parameter."

Norton Ghost can't access the drive.  chkdsk in a window generates a windows "the program must stop, do you want to tell Microsoft" standard window.

Did some searching for similar appearing problems and downloaded some of the recommended utilities.  MBRtool and iRecover see the disk as FAT32, can see the proper consumed capacity of the drive, and can see the proper folder structure and contained files.  I restored the MBR with MBRtool.  No effect.

It appears to me that the problem lies in the file system, not a physical drive defect, since these other apps "see" the drive correctly, but I'm a CPA, not a computer expert.

Is there something being caused by the conversion of the c: drive to NTFS?

Any other thoughts on fixing the MBR/partition structure/other disk organization issue without resorting to data recovery (which appears as if it would work, but might be using a sledgehammer to kill a fly.)  Utils don't appear to be able to image d: to c:...I suppose this is the file system disparity?

Answer : Problem: Error occured using convert.exe on a FAT32 drive under XP...file system now reported as RAW

Typically, a conversion of one volume would not affect the other volume (unless the partition table was bad - e.g overlapping volumes, which is fairly rare condition).

So this is most likely related to the error message: it prompted to force dismount on the volume, you said OK, and it then failed. One possible message is like "there is a swap file on that volume so cannot dismount", everything else indicates something went wrong.

Additionally, chkdsk should not bail out with "Needs to close, report to MS" message. It should generate a message like "CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives" and then abort. Anything other than that inidcates some wierd problem.

Fixing partitions "in place" when MBRTool already attempted with no effect would typically require a computer expert, so I really suggest you go the full scale data recovery option.

On the bright side, the original filesystem structure remains intact until pretty far into the conversion process, so your chances with a data recovery are good.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us