Question : Problem: How to send multipage fax with computer/scanner

I have a HP 5100C Scan Jet with Fax Works on my computer.
The software is by Global Communications. Consider it can
be an image, text or both.
Normally, when sending a one page fax I go to Programs/
HP Scanning Software/HP Scan jet Copy Utility.
Then I click the big button "COPY" in the Copy Utility Window. And with my document in the scanner, that device does it's scan.Then the Window Faxworks, Send Fax comes up. Here I insert the phone number,etc then hit "send". The number is dialed and the fax for that one page is sent if I have print properties set for faxworks instead of the printer. If it is set for printer, I change it to faxworks. And then that one page is sent to the recipient.

My big question is, "how do I send a two page fax from the scanner?" None of you may have this combination of equipment with similar software and scanner, but maybe you can give me a hint of where to look for a solution to send faxes of more than one page from the scanner. So far, I have just been making a phone call for each page.

I have tried to do it by using copy on the scanner. Also,
I have set up separate files of text and/or images in the
computer then going to print. As files, I have run into
problems of sending a clear fax of an image of print.
Possibly, this is because of the wrong extension.

I have Windows 95 and use Netscape 4.6

There's got to be a better way.

Thanks,

Answer : Problem: How to send multipage fax with computer/scanner

Glad to have helped you, LouHall. Here comes the answer:

=====================================================
Although the sheet feeder would be the best solution, you can scan so many pages as you want and combine them in a single fax.

Fax a single page, but hold it (don't sent id immediately). For the following pages, scan each page and, with that, create a single file (store them, not "fax" them).

Under FaxWorks, open the fax, press "Arrange" button, choose "Assemble" option and, once there, press "Add file".

Each file you add creates a new page on your fax. After  completed, unhold and send the so-create multi-page fax.
=====================================================

>>how I might improve the sending of a single photo with more clarity,

That depends on your scanner's abilities (or its software). Unfortunately, I don't know HP scanners, but I supose you surely will have an option to modify contrast/bright until you find the right values which give you a clear and sharp image. Keep in mind that all scanners, in general, scan work between two extremes: text or photos. The first one is suposed to offer the maximum contrast: a simple black (ink) & white (paper) image. On the other side, a photo gives tons of variable levels of gray. The exact middle is in a point that depends on your sight.

I remember the old Genius hand-scanner, where you had a potentiometer to vary from one extreme to the other; thus, you had to try several times until get a clear image of what you scanned. Today, all of that is made by software. Go and play a while with that.

>>Can I select it in a different format?

Once again, it's software responsability to create different types of images (JPG, BMP, TIF, PCX, etc.)

Anyway, if you'd want a certain type of image which scanner's soft does not allow, you always can get that image and convert it to the format you want. The Web has really TONS of graphic format converters. Even the ancient Paintbrush (from Win 3.x, but works smoothly under Win 9x) can [indirectly] convert between BMP and PCX formats.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us