Question : Problem: problems w/uShare 5.x and AppleShare client 3.7.4+

This is a brief summary of the diffilcuties I'm having with AppleShare clients 3.7.4 and 3.8 when working with volumes mounted from a uShare 5.x server. Please get in touch if you need more detail.

I have been having major problems with AppleShare clients 3.7.4 and 3.8, in writing to, and generating file lists from, AppleShare server volumes. We're running the AppleShare IP emulation software for unix by IPTECH, uShare 5.x, on Sun boxes running Solaris. I've had two main problems. Maybe you've seen similar instances in your shop?

1.      AppleShare (AS) client versions 3.7.4 and 3.8, when used on MacOS 7.6.1 w/ OT 1.1.2, will seize upon writing to a server volume. However, both clients have no problems when running on OS 8.1. (The main difference between AS 3.6.4 and 3.7.4 and higher, is that AppleShare 3.6.4 connects to AS IP servers through AppleTalk. Only 3.7.4 and higher, as far as I understand, can take advantage of the TCP/IP server connection).

2.      AS 3.7.4 and 3.8 running on OS8.1 w/ OT 1.3 refuses to completely refresh a directory view on a volume that contains a corrupted file. AS 3.6.4 on 7.6.1 allows the view and does not lock-up the Finder.

For both of these problems, the only way to recover is a full soft boot. Neither stopping the transfer nor force-quitting allows one to continue working.

Please let me know if you've seen problems like this, or even other problems with AppleShare IP.

Answer : Problem: problems w/uShare 5.x and AppleShare client 3.7.4+

To reduce errors, run only one version of the AppleShare Client on all machines including the Server. I recommend 3.7.4. More than one version of the AS Client on different machines on a single LAN has a long history of unwanted behavior. Ideally, all machines in the shop should be on MacOS 8.1/OT1.3.1. I recommend using the Universal option (runs on any Macintosh).

Also, the Server should be running ASIP 5.0.3 on MacOS 8.1/OT 1.3.1 with all non-essential Extensions and Control Panels OFF. You may want to purge your Server Cache on a regular basis as well.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us