Question : Problem: Sound card background noise with ATI AIW VCR recording

I'm using an ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon with a Soyo Dragon+ motherboard, has a C-Media 5.1 audio chipset builtin. Windows XP Pro.

I use it like a Tivo, making recordings to my hard disk from TV programs. When I play any TV shows live, it sounds great and I have no problem.

However, in the last couple of weeks, my recorded programs have a significant constant and noticeable background hiss, as if I'm playing an old 8-track or casette. It happens whether I record with MPEG-1, MPEG-2, at best sound quality, any bitrate; in other words, all the time.

Again, it just started up recently; I play back older recordings on my hard disk and they sound fine. I've not changed any of the cables plugged into the inputs and outputs of the sound card.

I've tried muting all of the unused audio sources in the playback and recorder controls, nothing seems to work. Control Panel/System/Devices shows all devices as operating properly.

Any new recordings I make are very unpleasant because of the background noise.

Before I go out and buy a new sound card and disable the onboard audio, I'm hoping someone has something to try!

Thanks.

Answer : Problem: Sound card background noise with ATI AIW VCR recording

check ur power supply, ur power cables plugs.
try plugging in ur main power plug in a diff. socket.
what about the wire going into ur sound card..
just shake all the speaker, amp wires while playing a sound and see if any of them affects the hiss.

also try unistalling any sofware u may have installed recently..
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us