Question : Problem: Computer turns off on wake-up from sleep

Hi all,

I have a 4 year old self-built PC, WinXP SP2, Athlon XP 2800, running without any problems for 3 years.  During the past year -- something weird started.  When it is waking up from sleep, it started to turn itself off.  Not shut down, just abruptly power off about 4 seconds after I touch the mouse or keyboard to wake it up.  Only the case light is on.  To turn on, I have to unplug or click "off" on the power supply, wait for a few seconds for the case light to turn off, then power back on.  If I don't wait enough, it powers off again a few seconds into boot.  Aside from that, it boots and works normally.  

It has been getting progressively worse, too.  Before, it would only do that once every 2 weeks or so, now its after every sleep.  Aside from that, the machine works very well, nothing else is screwed up.  

I can't trace it to any soft or hard upgrade, I looked at the event viewer and didn't see anything weird.  Temperature is fine, its not overheating.  

Any ideas?  

Thanks!!

Answer : Problem: Computer turns off on wake-up from sleep

I think there is a good chance the capacitors on the 5vsb rail in your power supply are on the way out.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us