Question : Problem: Cat6 network cable questions

Hi there.

I know DSL is very dependant on the quality of the wiring inside your house., Recently, I changed the cable going from my BT master socket to the ADSL socket near the router to Cat5e (from BT's crappy Cat3 cable!).

It's worked a beauty syncing fully at 8128. I know that ADSL2+ is due to be rolled out and im doing a re-wire of my house.

For ADSL2+, would it be advantageous for me to use Cat6 between master socket and secondary socket? If so, should I use 2 wires of the same pair or different pairs for maximum iterferance rejection? Please keep in mind that this cable will be run along with power cables (like the current cat5e one does)

Also on a side note, do networks generally have any problems mixing cat5e and cat6? I would only really like the Cat6 for the long runs.

Cheers

Answer : Problem: Cat6 network cable questions

I wouldn't think there would be much difference between Cat6 and Cat5e when you're talking about carrying DSL.  Of course, if you have Cat6 and aren't paying for it instead of Cat5e, then use it.

For internal wiring, Cat5e should be more than sufficient.  Regardless of what you use, I'd suggest using two wires from the same pair.  The interference cancellation of the single twisted pair should be at its peak for this application.  Weird things can happen at higher frequencies, but again... we're talking DSL here, not gigabit.  

Cat5e within spec is rated up to 100 metre lengths.  Unless you happen to live in a castle, it'll be fine for you.  If you happen to mix in some Cat6, I don't see why it should affect anything other than the fact that you're making more connections, but it sounds like you'd be making the connection anyway, not just splicing pieces of Cat6 in as you happen to acquire them.  
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us