Question : Problem: No sound in Vista even though soundcard is recognised?

I have recently installed Windows Vista on my PC (Asus A8n5x motherboard) which has an integrated Realtek audio chip.  My problem lies in the fact that my sound device is recognised, lists no problems, even appears to be playing fine, (graphic equaliser jumping up and down) but no sound can be heard.  I can only hear a very very faint sound when I have my speakers turned to the maximum volume.  Nothing is muted, audio services are started, correct device selected etc.  I have tried a few different driver versions but to no avail.  The strange thing is that when I plug my speakers into the front panel audio connector on my case, sound plays fine, but only through one of my 2 speakers.  That could possibly be me connecting the jumpers wrongly to the motherboard perhaps, I'm not sure.

Any advice greatly appreciated, because I'm thinking about binning Vista already and going back to the comfort of XP.

Answer : Problem: No sound in Vista even though soundcard is recognised?

After much internet trawling, I discovered the problem and I now have sound.  I had let Windows Vista install the drivers automatically at boot up, what I needed to do was cancel the Windows driver installation and use the Realtek installer file.

Thanks to all who helped.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us