Question : Problem: No sound - first partially w/embedded audio files, then totally, after downloading new soundmax driver

I recently changed my internet protection from a Norman based engine to McAfee total protection. At the same time, I upgraded my Adobe Flash Player to ver. 9.0. (Don't know which of these two events has 'initiated' the problem). After this, I could no longer hear embedded audio (e.g. youtube, flash-based computer games, embedded quick-time players on my son's much beloved Lego website, etc.). Itunes, windows media player etc. were fine.
IIn my reg. database the "wavemap issue" was OK. When I ran the DxDirect test, I had the following error code:
Sound Tab 1: DirectSound test results: Failure at step 19 (User verification of software): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code)
I then decided to update my Soundmax driver from the Asus website. I let the installer overwrite my old driver.
After that, no sound whatsoever, not even system sounds.
I tried uninstalling the Soundmax driver, then reinstalling it.
All the audio settings seem to be what they should be.
Have you any suggestions how to get the sound back???
Thanks in advance

Answer : Problem: No sound - first partially w/embedded audio files, then totally, after downloading new soundmax driver

If it helps you are not the only one that this has happened to with asus

http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-40702-Not-getting-audio-output-after-updating-the-PC.html

def appears to either be a conflict with teh on board audio or a driver issue so get rid of tehon board audio using bios first
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us