Question : Problem: Using Cisco 3560\3750 SFP port for Tape Library

I am going to be setting up a tape library. I am told with the library that I'm getting that there are two ways to set it up,

[svrs to be backed up]----->thru the lan---->[backup svr]--->SCSI--->[tape library]

or

[fiber nic]------>[fiber bridge]------>[tape library]

My question is, can I use a cisco switch (3560\3750) and plug the tape library in one of the spf ports on it?

I want to buy the switch to act as the 'fiber bridge' and since it's a gb switch and all the servers have gb nics, i just want them to have a gb connection to the tape library which itself is connected by fiber.

Also, in buying the switch, it says the SFP ports are empty, do I need to purchase a specific gbic or fiber module to plug into the spf port? And i'm assuming this module will depend what type of fiber connection is coming off the tape library, would that be correct? like SC to LC or someting another

Answer : Problem: Using Cisco 3560\3750 SFP port for Tape Library

Well, i have limited experience with SBS but i understand that it is pretty "wizard-intensive" which can be a good thing.  Another good thing is that you'll be setting up a lot of things from scratch.  You can name your internal domain, you don't have worry too much with DCPROMO or moving from one Active Directory strucutre to another.  DNS should be a breeze as long as make sure you know what pointers/records your ISP requires.

VPN setups vary but PIX is a pretty popular firewall so i'm sure you can get some help on here or with their customer support as well (see if they have installation support).  When you tell people you're setting up a new domain, they're usually pretty receptive.  Sometimes these types of projects can be "learn as you go", so I would review the specs and feature sets (and costs) and go with whichever server software you feel is best.  Either one should meet your needs it appears.  

If you're buying through Dell, speak to their Sales Associate.  He/she can usually patch you through to a "techie" (and usually a Tier 2 techie) who can answer detailed questions about 2003 Server vs. 2003 SBS server.  I would never just "buy online" withotu speaking to a Sales Rep.  If you let them know that you're on a limited budget and give them a (low) number you're shooting for, they'll usually try to work it out for you.  They'll be running around getting Manager Discounts, special offers, etc just so they can make their little commission from your sale.

You'll never get that service just off the website.  I would definitely do some extra homework on the setup details before purchasing if you have the time.  Post in the topic-specific areas here and you'll find lots of experts who specialize for you too.  I think you're really on the right track so far...
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us