Question : Problem: Unmounable Boot Volume - Got data off after chkdsk, now need to get it to be bootable again

BACKGROUND INFO - Question is at the end in CAPS.

Laptop locked up so I did a hard shut down.   When trying to boot back up, got blue screen of death.   It would the give choice to Start Windows Normally or another option to attempt to fix errors.    If I selected Start Windows Normally, it just got BSOD again.   If I selected option to fix errors, it just hung up with a black screen, but I did have a mouse pointer.
Tried booting from Toshiba recevory disk and Windows Vista disk.   Same thing, hung up on black screen.

Got a hard drive enclosure kit and hooked to another PC.
In My Computer, can see drive as G:  When I double click on it, it says "You need to format G: before you can use it."     Right clicked and selected tools,  Error-checking and it says windows cannot access the disk.  From dos, tried to change to G: drive and get message Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy Check).  When I try chkdsk g:   from Dos, it say Access denied as you do not have sufficient privledges.  You have to invoke this utility running in an elevated mode.
When I rebooted the pc that the hard drive enclosure was connected to, it ran chkdsk on it when it restarted and repaired a lot.   I was able to get off the data I wanted.

NOW I AM HOPING TO GET THE LAPTOP WORKING AGAIN.   WHEN I PUT IT BACK IN THE TOSHIBA AND BOOTED, SAME PROBLEMS AS LISTED ABOVE......UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME ERROR AND JUST HANGS UP TRYING TO BOOT FROM VISTA CD'S OR IN SAVE MODE OR IN REPAIR MODE.

Thanks for any info or suggetions you can give.

Answer : Problem: Unmounable Boot Volume - Got data off after chkdsk, now need to get it to be bootable again

Well if the recovery disk didn't help it at all, odds are its not gonna work again.

However if you want, plug it in to the other computer that it appeared in, and run a virus scan over it. It could be a simple boot virus that is stopping it or something. Do a virus scan on that drive..and get a highjack this log if you can and post it here.

Hopefully your problem will be detected.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us