Question : Problem: Problems Making Connection to Wireless AP

My desktop MB (Asus P5K-E Wifi) has a built in Realtek RTL8187 wireless AP.  After running the Setup Wizard an error is reported "Enable Sharing Network (PRIVATE) failed [800702FD]!  The error is reported from C:\Program Files\REALTEK\RTL8187 Wireless LAN Utility\RtWLan.exe.  Although the error is reported, the Wireless Network connection shows "Connected, Firewalled" along with the onboard NIC.  The onboard NIC shows "COnnected,Shared, Firewalled"

The onboard NIC TCP/IP properties obtains IP and DNS automatically.  From the reading I've done it was necessary to give the wireless connection a fixed IP address to get the connection.  Intially I set wireless AP to have no encryption (Disabled).

My laptop wireless card "sees" the SSID of the AP, but is not able to make a connection.

Please help.  I want guests in my office to be able to connect to this AP and will encrypt the connection after I get it working.

Thanks in advance

Answer : Problem: Problems Making Connection to Wireless AP

You need the AP to have a DHCP server enabled, or you will need to manually set the wireless client's ip address, gateway and dns.

Sorry but I have never tried to set thiu sort of AP up.
Normally a seperate AP will just relay DHCP, etc.
You will probably need to configure Internet connection sharing on the PC before this will work, as there is no routing etc set up.

Adding an ICS bridge will set up DHCP and routing for you.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us