Question : Problem: SBS 2003 SP2 RWW - can not Connect to server desktops

XP SP2 Pro connecting to SBS 2003 SP2 in clients office via Linksys WAG54GS

Can connect to RWW and view reports but cannot connect to server desktops, others can from their own home so I think its something at my end. When I click the Connect button on the Connect to server desktops page I get a warning that a website wants to start a remote connection, then a pause and then a VBScript RDD message box "The client could not connect to the remote computer .........."

netsh interface ip show tcpconn (after the wanring is accepted)
      shows the SYN sent to the server IP but no ACK comes back. ( no unidentified connections)

I can use Remote desktop to connect to machines in my LAN, my understanding is that I should not have to open ports on my LAN router. Firewall on XP is On, Don't Allow Exceptions not ticked, set to display notification of blocked packets, no notifications show. Remote Desktop connections allowed.

System Properties-Remote tab, Allow users box ticked and have added a user with the same username and password as SBS user to XP system and have selected that user as a Remote user. Also added the user to Remote Desktop Users group, Remote Desktop Users are allowed to login through terminal services and terminal services is running.

I have tried connecting the XP box directly to a braodband modem, no firewall, still the same.

Linksys is set to allow IPSEC, PPTP and L2TP pass through. Logging is garbage on the router but I dont think that it is the problem.

I have just tried with a clean XP SP2 install on a different box to eliminate any issues on the original box, same thing.

The Remote Desktop Connection, using the remote IP will not connect at all, "This computer can't connect to the remote computer." but through a browser, I can view RWW reports but no "Connect to server desktop".

I know that I have been added to the Administrators group on the SBS 2003 box, and remote access group otherwise I would not be able to log in to RWW. I can't work this out, I know others have similar issues, has anyone any ideas?

Answer : Problem: SBS 2003 SP2 RWW - can not Connect to server desktops

RWW doesn't use the same port as Remote Desktop (TCP 3389); instead the ActiveX component connects to the SBS server on TCP 4125.

If other users are able to connect using RWW I'd say that the necessary port forwarding was already in place - although there is a small chance that the rule is subject to a source address filter to which your IP may need to be added.  (I assume you are the person that set up port forwarding?)
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us