Question : Problem: Treo DNS Caching breaks Synchronization with using different IP addresses for internal and external access to Exchange Server

I have a Palm Treo 700wx with the current firmware version: TREO700W_-1.22-VZW.

I hook it up to the USB on my PC and ActiveSync runs correctly.  Then I disconnect the phone from the USB and the only way to get Exchange ActiveSync to run is to perform a soft reset on the phone (by pulling the battery out for a couple of seconds).

I've tried these things that didn't work:
1) just taking phone off of USB and waiting for over an hour.
2) forcing the phone's internet connection to be dropped and redialed.
3) running the active sync application on the 700wx and forcing it to run the sync

when I do option #3, the sync fails with the support code 0x80072ee2

Any help would be appreciated.  The palm tech wanted me to do a hard reset which seems like a fairly useless idea considering the phone is brand new.

Answer : Problem: Treo DNS Caching breaks Synchronization with using different IP addresses for internal and external access to Exchange Server

Cool, I guess I'll just keep talking to myself out here and answer the questions for myself.

Since no one has presented a better alternative here's the work around I came up with.

Assumptions:
1. I have "unlimited" data service from Verizon
2. The problem is caused when I hook the Treo up to the USB
3. I can sync everything I need regularly over the air
4. I have the Palm cradle that recharges using the AC adapter NOT via USB
5. Verizon has locked the windows registry so I can't add the registry key to fix this problem.
6. Calling Palm, Microsoft, or Verizon would be a BIG waste of time.

Work Around:
I pulled the USB cable going to my cradle out of the USB port on the computer.  This way, when I hook up the phone to the cradle to recharge, it doesn't connect to the USB.  The phone continues to sync over the air and I don't have to pull the battery out of the phone every time I take it out of the cradle.

If I need to load a piece of software, I'll hook the USB up and sync it and then I know when I'm done with that process, I'll need to unhook the USB and pop the battery out of the phone to get the Exchange Sync working again.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us