Question : Problem: Replacing a video card in a Sony Vaio

Is it possible to replace the ATI Radeon Mobility 9200 video card in a Sony Vaio?  I've removed about a dozen screws and have found nothing except the RAM and the NIC.  I have no more screws to remove, and the back is as solidly in place as it was with the screws in place.

I'd really hate to not be able to do anything about this.  The laptop is fine except for the video card.  I can't boot into anything but Safe Mode without errors.  I've downloaded updated drivers and even used the Sony System Restore CDs to wipe everything out and bring it back to factory settings, but all to no avail.

The laptop is 6 months out of warranty, so no help is available from Sony.

Thanks for your help!

Answer : Problem: Replacing a video card in a Sony Vaio

The model number of the laptop would help, but from my past experience with VAIO laptops, most of the vital components, including the video, are on the motherboard, so you'd need to replace the motherboard if the video is in fact the problem.  If you've already used system restore Cds to bring the system back to factory defaults, then the problem wouldn't be with the drivers, it would be with the graphics chipset on the motherboard.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us