Question : Problem: MAXTOR EXTERNAL 250GB HARD DRIVE MODEL: 6L250R0, 'cannot access drive 'J' The File or directory is corrupted and unreadable'

I have a Maxtor External Hard Drive Model 6L250R0.  It has been fine until recently. When I tried to access it the message 'cannot access drive 'J' The File or directory is corrupted and unreadable' appeared and has done so for the last 3 days.  It powers up but when I access the properties of it it says 0 bytes free, 0 bytes used but when i troubleshoot it says that the device is working properly.  I have downloaded the free demo GET DATA BACK but to be honest I don't have a clue how to use it.  The Hard Drive was virtually at full capacity, I really cannot afford to lose this data........................

Answer : Problem: MAXTOR EXTERNAL 250GB HARD DRIVE MODEL: 6L250R0, 'cannot access drive 'J' The File or directory is corrupted and unreadable'

I have had this problem also. Turns out a few external drives tend to over heat. This causes the disk to coruppt the data.
I would remove the drive from its enclosure and install it in the computer as a second (Slave) drive.
Try running the chkdsk utility, it needs to be ran on reboot.

If that does not fix it you could also try http://www.stellarinfo.com/partition-recovery.htm?gclid=CK_e_Yax_IgCFQEoYQoddUFHqA
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us