Question : Problem: Asus A7V8X-X turns on, power light, hard drive light

But nothing else... :-(

Anyone got any ideas what could be wrong, or where to look first.

Basically, you power it on, the power light comes on, the drives cycle (activity lights come on on each the cd/dvd drive), the hard drive activity light comes on, but nothing else happens.  The monitor stays in standby mode, and it doesn't _sound_ like it even attempts to boot :-(

I have tried doing the battery-out, clear RTC RAM jumper, battery in procedure specified in the handbook, but with no success...

Is it a case of a new motherboard/cpu?

Or is there something else I can try before going for this route?

Hope someone can help :-)

Thanks in advance :-)

Let me know if you need more info :-)

Tim

Answer : Problem: Asus A7V8X-X turns on, power light, hard drive light

Are you getting any beeps? Follow the standard troubleshooting procedure for diagnosing the cause of booting problems:

1) Set up minimal configuration of motherboard, CPU, and memory you know to be good (e.g. works successfully in another machine). The speaker will also need to be plugged in properly.
2) Normally, you'll get one beep to signify that the BIOS and POST have passed successfully. Each motherboard will have its own beep system e.g. two beeps: bad RAM or RAM not present. three beeps: bad cpu etc. You may actually get a beep because the graphics card isn't present. If you still get no beeps at this stage I would suggest CPU or motherboard problem. If it's practical, test these by swapping out.
3) Next add graphics card, then hard disks, until you have a booting system.

Good luck!
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us