Question : Problem: How to video chat between Macintosh running iChat to PC running AIM.

Hi there.  I use a Mac and am able to iChat with other Mac users, for example my mother in law in France.
However, I am unable to chat with my parents in England, who use AIM.  I'm pretty sure they are using at least AIM 5.5 - we redownloaded from the AIM website last weekend.
Issue plays out as follows:
0. We can text chat just fine.
1. I can add them as a buddy, but they do not have a video icon, and so I can't video chat them.
2. they can add me and initiate a video chat.  I then get notified that "James G." (my dad) is trying to chat me.  I accept his chat.  Then a few seconds later, I get a message saying unable to start chat session because "John G." failed to respond: John G. is me, not my parents.

I am running iMac G5 with non-built-in iSight.  I use a wireless router (not apple's) to connect to RoadRunner cable service.  My parents use DSL in england - I think AOL is their ISP.

I haven't found any useful documentation on the internet describing this problem.  Can anyone help?

Answer : Problem: How to video chat between Macintosh running iChat to PC running AIM.

Its possible that your router is blocking a port needed for video chat?

I'm pretty sure text chat through AIM is accomplished via AOL's servers.  ie. Your iChat sends text to AOL,  AOL sends that text to your buddy.  The buddy list works this way too. You both log into AIM service, AIM service sends notification to each that the buddy is logged in.

However, the video service works directly between the computers.  AOL's AIM only serves to give you the IP address to start the video connection.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us