Question : Problem: Screen clarity/focus for Dell Inspiron 6000 Laptop, Wide-XGA

I have just purchased a new Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop, with a WXGA (Wide XGA monitor), the screen resolution is set to the highest available (1280x1024) with 96DPI. I have been using if for a couple of days, but the clarity and focus of the display is not that great, quite disappointing actually, particularly text in Word documents is out of focus at times.

I called Dell support, and they suggest two things: (1) re-install the Windows OS, which doesn't make much sense to me, and (2) call Microsoft to find out if it's a problem with Office (also doesn't make much sense, it's Office 2003 Pro, which I have been using for a while).

Is there anybody who had similar experiences and can give any suggestion on how to improve the monitor quality? Maybe there is a setting that might make things better? Or does it have anything to do with the Video card? Or should I return this laptop and upgrade to one with a better monitor?

Thanks,
Stefano

Answer : Problem: Screen clarity/focus for Dell Inspiron 6000 Laptop, Wide-XGA

Yes that should improve your display, but again there are drivers for that display that need to be installed as well. But if you feel you want to upgrade your display to a better one, then because the newer display UltraSharp WSXGA+ or UltraSharp WUXGA would be a better display, you will have better clarity and picture. But I wouldn't say this is a solution to your question, just an upgrade to your laptop to better the screen overall.

To try the drivers for video for your laptop, perhaps the link I provided before was not the correct driver, I'm just going by you having a Dell Inspiron 6000.

here is a link to all drivers for the Inspiron 6000:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/devices.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&SystemID=INS_PNT_6000&os=WW1&osl=EN#

at the bottom is the video drivers, perhaps one of the others would be more suitable, you'll have to look at your laptop to get the right one for what you have. I'm not sure which video card you have installed. Also try your display at 1280x768, i have found that many wide screens, including the one on my laptop are set at 1280x768. See if that helps ;o)

regards,
~trail
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us