Question : Problem: How do I transfer video to computer for editing?

Hi!

I was wondering if someone could tell me how one goes about transferring video to their computer, editing it, and then copying it back to a videotape?

What I do have:
- a computer (obviously), 1 GHz processor, 128 MB ram, 80 Gig HD (though half of it is already full)
- Sony DV camcorder
- MovieDV video editing software.

Now, what do I need to get the Hi8 video I recorded transferred to the computer?  Is there some kind of special adapter card I need to get for the computer?  Any suggestions on brand/estimated cost?

Once I get this and I install my software and transfer video to my computer, is there a limit to how much time-wise can be edited at a time?  What kind of picture quality does one end up with?

I videotaped a wedding, about an hour and a half in total length, and in the past editing has been done by hooking two VCR’s together.  If picture quality is good and one can edit large chunks at a time, editing via computer certainly seems like the way to go.

Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks!

~Dave

Answer : Problem: How do I transfer video to computer for editing?

It's possible you already HAVE a video in/out device--some graphics cards have the capability to output to a video via an S-Video connector; a few also have the ability to take video IN and therefore do a capture. If your graphics card is described as a VIVO device then it'll do what you want--the quality won't be stunning, but if we're talking VHS videotape then quality isn't going to be high on the agenda anyway...
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us