Question : Problem: Internal Modems and Asus P5P800 or XP Service Pack 2 Culprit?!?!

Hi
I have tried three different modems in a system with mixed results.  The system is a

Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz
Asus P5P800 Motherboard (775 Socket) Intel 865 Chipset
256MB DDR400
40GB WD HD
Liteon DVD/CD Combo Drive
Floppy Drive
Sparkle Geforce MX4000 Video Card
Onboard AC97 Sound Card
Onboard Network Card

Software includes:
Windows XP SP2 OEM
Office 2003
Tight VNC
MYOB Retail Manager
NAV 2005 (Retail)
Winrar
Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0
Spybot
Spysweeper
Adaware

Software is fully patched where applicable

The three modems I've tried are:

Dynalink (Agere 1648C-TV5 Chip)
Discovery (Conexant HSFi CX11252-11)
Swannsmart II Pro (Motorola MOT PCI 3) "Comes up as a Motorola SMS56 or something"

1) The Dynalink is detected and Queries fine in Windows but when we try to dial out it either says the computer is not responding or some crap.  The modem works fine in another PC (with different hardware and is XP SP1).  Tried different PCI Slots but still no good.  Tried two other Dynalinks.  The Dynalink still doesn't work in the same machine with a clean install of Windows XP to SP1.
2) The discovery detects and queries fine in windows but when we try to dial out it either says the computer is not responding or some crap.  The modem works fine in another PC (with different hardware and is XP SP1).  Tried different PCI Slots but still no good. Modem DOES work fine in system with a clean install to SP2.
3) The Swannsmart II Pro detects and installs fine in the PC but when you goto to query or use the modem you get an error that the modem is not responding.  Modem works fine in another machine.  I'm not sure if it works under a clean install on the same machine with a clean install of XP SP1.

In all instances an External Modem works just dandy but the client wants internal modems.

The same problem is occurring on 6 machines all built to the same spec.  Things I've tried
- Looked on Asus' website and can't spy an updated BIOS.
- Turned off all the Firewall Crap I could find
- Tried disabling and enabling the LCP Extensions Options
- Slowed down the connection speed to 38400
- Tried another phone line (still the same)
- Loaded into basic mode by using MSCONFIG and removing all other program entries
- Disabled NAV 2005 services from starting up.
- Tried updated drivers from the three modem vendors.

Well and truly stumped.  My only solutions at this time are too reinstall 6 PC's to SP1 and use the Discovery modems.

Answer : Problem: Internal Modems and Asus P5P800 or XP Service Pack 2 Culprit?!?!

PAQed with points refunded (500)

modulo
Community Support Moderator
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us