Question : Problem: Connectivity problems with wireless laptop cart and domain logon

Greetings:
I have a school laptop cart with 20 Latitude 110L laptops with 2915ABG cards and a Linksys WAP54G v.2 access point. All use XP-SP2 with latest updates. The AP has the latest firmware installed and is on a fixed IP. It is plugged directly into our hardwired school backbone. I have also set all the laptops to fixed IP and DNS.  We are a 2003 MS Server domain based system and use the domain controllers for wireless authentication without any RADIUS server or other intermediate service. I have problems with the login to the domain where the result will be "domain is not available".  Most times I have a previous logon on the laptop, thus resulting in cached credentials, then I can login with that name, logoff and then the new person can logon to the domain. If not I can log in locally with an admin account and generally get the wireless to connect. This happens sporadically and repeatedly for reasons I cannot fathom. Also, I can also see the wireless connection just drop off on the laptop while I am looking at it. If I use the Fn-wireless link to turn the wireless card off/on then it generally comes back. I am at my wits end about this and have tried the usual Dell help but as soon as I use the word "domain" they tell me that they can't help me. I have done the usual driver updates per the website and have even tried the Intel version of the 2915ABG driver. That was not successful as the Dell version is tailored to them so I reverted to the latest version from the Dell website (11.1.1.0). This appears to be a catch-22 situation where the PC cannot authenticate until it connects and cannot connect until it authenticates. I am a staunch Dell advocate and am normally well satisfied with their support but this one has me stumped. As a note I am A+ certified and an MCP, not a newbie.
Thanks,
Ed

Answer : Problem: Connectivity problems with wireless laptop cart and domain logon

Switch to the Intel Proset wireless application to manage the WIFI connection, and when installing it, make sure to selet Custom>and Check Single Sign On, and Pre Logon Connect. Dont install the Admin tools on the clients though....

This will change the GINADLL in the Winlogon key, to an Intel GinaDll, which will replace the Windows Login screen, with an authentication to the Wireless profile, and THEN the domain.....

My experience has always been that the WZVSVC doesnt start early enough for regular wireless to authenticate, even using the Wait for network before login Policy.....

Intel® PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=1847&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Professional&lang=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go%21
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us