Question : Problem: Buying a new LCD monitor - HDMI or DVI?

I had a quick question regarding two particular monitors I am interested in buying.  The first monitor is a 22" with VGA and DVI inputs.  The second monitor has only VGA and HDMI and is a 21.6" monitor.  The size difference seems negligable to me, and they both have the same native resolution.  The issue is, I am not sure which one will fit my needs the best.  I will be buying a decent desktop computer with a pretty good graphics card.  I will want to do some gaming with the computer and monitor, and I would think that DVI is the best input for computer gaming.  However, I also want this monitor to have the potential to hook up a HD Direct TV receiver to it as well as a stand alone blu-ray player.  I think the HDMI input will be the only way to do this, but maybe just because it has an HDMI connector, doesn't mean it will be able to have a receiver or blu-ray player plugged directly into it?  I think most of the higher end gaming cards these days have some sort of HDMI output (although very few of them seem to have the flat rectangular sort of HDMI plug you find on the newer televisions...so I assume they have some sort of adapter).  For the gaming aspect of things, if I use HDMI instead of DVI, will there be a difference?  Actually, if I was to use HDMI for the computer, that will take up the only HDMI input on the monitor, so I'll have to switch cables each time I want to use a different source (Blu-Ray, HD receiver, or desktop PC).  Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Answer : Problem: Buying a new LCD monitor - HDMI or DVI?

HDMI is nothing more than DVI plus digital audio.  A $10 adapter will let you convert between the two, though you will have to do more if you want sound on the same cable.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us