Question : Problem: Backup solution for Exchange 2007 on Windows Server 2008

We have a Windows 2008 (Standard) Server running Exchange 2007.  It is backed up every night (incremental) and once a week (full) to a tape drive run by Backup Exec 12d.  Now I quite happy with the way that is running, but the amount of time and effort I have put into this setup, I'd hate to have to rebuild it in the event of a disaster.  The OS / Exchange is on a RAID 1 array, with 2 mirrored 1TB disks, but I was thinking about creating a complete 'Ghost' image once a month or so, in the event of a total failure. Driveimage XML is a nice free tool, but I'm not sure it's up to the job, so what is the best option in the event of total disaster?

Answer : Problem: Backup solution for Exchange 2007 on Windows Server 2008

An effective solution is to use a server imaging program like Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery Server to create a nightly image of your system volume and your application volume (if you have one) and then use Symantec Backup Exec for Windows to backup your data volume to tape.
This way you can restore the server images to almost any hardware very quickly and then you restore the exchange data from tape.
You put the images on an external hard disk and send them offsite every day with the backup tapes.
You only need to keep a week or two of the images (allows you to roll the server OS back to a known good configuration in the event of software failure or corruption).
Good server imaging software like BESRS or Acronis can not only save your ass but save you time in other ways as well.
Well worth the spend.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us