Question : Problem: Should I partition my New Hard Drive.

In a few days I will have a new G6 300 XL with an  8.4 gig Hard Drive ... from Gateway 2000 it will have factory installed software on it.. Should I partition the hard drive? If yes what is the best way to do it. I have software called Partition It from Quarterdeck.. is this a good program to use?

Thanks for any help.

Answer : Problem: Should I partition my New Hard Drive.

Partitioning is something that is done to a new hard drive.  You are getting a new computer, not a blank hard drive for installation.  The machine, including the hard drive, will be ready to operate when you get it.  A new computer with software installed on the drive has the drive already partitioned.

I would be careful with repartitioning unless you're a compulsive tinkerer, as you may end up tinkering for a long time.  The machine should be set up pretty much optimally when you get it, and I would not mess with the hard drive, at least until you give it a good long trial the way things are.  Consider that Gateway is top-notch -- they know what they are doing.

If you're curious, when you get the machine, look at Config.sys (Run>sysedit).  Look for dmdrvr.bin, sstor.sys, hardrive.sys, or evdisk.sys to determine if the disk is already partitioned with a third-party scheme (i.e., other than Fdisk.exe, the Win95 partitioning program).

Repartitioning a drive means loss of files stored on the original partitions.  If you do partition, back up the drives, and make sure you have a means of reinstalling all supplied software and Win95 if necessary (ie, original CDs or disks).

You can create compressed drives if you want with DriveSpace to gain additional drive space (in case 8 GIGS isn't enough!).  This is not partitioning.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us