Question : Problem: Looking for small redundant switch

We have a cage at a datacenter and are looking to add a backup firewall to our stack (Sonicwall 2040).  The snag I'm running into is that the datacenter wants $100/month just to give me another port on their switch so I can connect my second firewall directly into it.  Because of this I'm wondering whether there's a small, redundant 3 port switch out there that I can use to split up my single network drop into two.... anyone know if this exists?  Should I even consider this?  Thanks in advance

Answer : Problem: Looking for small redundant switch

Is the provider giving you a second switch port from a second switch or a second switch port from the same switch as the first?  I would request a second switch port from a second switch for redundancy to their network.  If from the same switch, it really doesn't matter if your switch is redundant as you have a single point of failure the next hop in.  It would take years paying the provider to make up the cost of a redundant switch (you are only talking redundant power supplies with a fixed config switch) or many many years when talking a modular chassis with dual route processors, power, fans, etc.  For the best redundancy, have them give you a second connection to a different switch.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us