Question : Problem: Copying DVR MPEG-2 files to PC for burning to DVD

How do I copy compressed MPEG-2 files stored on my Digital Video Recorder directly to my PC hard drive for burning to DVD? The DVR is part of an ExpressVu PVR 5900 (in Canada; I believe that the brand is Echostar is the U.S.) satellite receiver/DVR combo with both component and S-Video output. I would prefer to avoid involving the TV and have no desire to add a TV tuner to my PC, unless absolutely necessary. As I assume that it will be necessary to add some type of digital capture device to my PC, my preference is a PCI card. I would also like the option to record from old analog video tapes to DVD as well, although this is not a priority. My PC is an HP Pavilion a630n with an Intel Pentium 4 520 (P) 2.8 GHz CPU, 1 GB of PC3200 DDR SDRAM, 160 GB 7200RPM hard drive and 8x DVD+R/RW drive.
Thanks, in advance.

Answer : Problem: Copying DVR MPEG-2 files to PC for burning to DVD

I use a Canopus ADVC-100 to capture from analog sources like composite and s-video, which converts it to Firewire.  A Firewire card on the pc is all else that's needed.  I have tried PCI video capture cards, but they usually require sound capture through the sound card, and after a while of recording, the video and sound get out of sync.  You will need software to capture on the pc to a digital format like avi.  Pinnacle Studio 9 is pretty easy to use, and will let you compress to mpeg2 and burn to DVD also.  Otherwise, you could go with free products like VirtualDub to capture, TMPGEnc to compress to mpeg2, and the software burning program that came with your DVD drive to burn to DVD.

Lots of hints and tutorials can be found at www.dvdrhelp.com
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us