Question : Problem: Laptop screen inteference

I have a laptop (Specs Below) which i have been having trouble with for the last year or so.  The problem is a screen inteference - light areas of the screen flicker in and out and eventually go a aqua tint.

Compaq Evo N1000c
Radeon 7900
40GB HDD
2x512 Kingston RAM

At first i thought this was a simple failing of a colour (im used to CRT's failing) but it isnt - its more of a interference.  Upon inspection i can see Red, Green and Blue colours when the display fails.  The screen has faint darker aqua lines that run up its length (Bottom to top) that look around 5mm apart that are visible in grey areas of the screen.  Light colours are tinted but darker colours are not so much.

However - If the screen is filled with darker colours on the majority than the ligher colours it snaps back to normal.

Ive tried swapping the RAM (1 out at a time) to no avail.  I have also tried taking screenshots and viewing it on another computer to no avail as well.  The picutres are fine.

I have had this problem both in Linux and Windows XP - its not a drivers issue IMHO.
This problem doesnt occour untill the OS picks up and begins to load - XP started doing it at the animated logo loading screen and Gentoo Linux does it ~30 seconds after i load into X/Fluxbox.

Any details i have left feel free to ask - excuse the long post but its hard to describe the problem.

Answer : Problem: Laptop screen inteference

If you hook up a external monitor and it works just fine,  then I'd suggest resetting the connecting cable.
There is a cable that runs from the screen down to the motherboard that if the screen's been pushed back past the recommended angle can come loose or get damaged.  IF you are good with the disassembling and reassembling of the unit, ( you can sometimes find documents on how to do that on Compaq's website)
then I'd suggest disconnecting and reconnecting that cable.  If your cable is damaged you can easily replace it through either spare parts or a used equipment vendor.
Sandra
Random Solutions  
  •  Problem: If ipod has Enable disk use ON, does that mean you have to press the eject button every time you want to un plug the ipod
  •  Problem: which future-proof graphics card should I buy to play the latest games (e.g.Crysis, Far Cry2, CoD4) on my XP SP3 system?
  •  Problem: SAMSUNG 1701MP Monitor on Nvidea NVS 280 DMS 59 to dual VGA
  •  Problem: Laptop. What does Virtual Display means and how to enable it
  •  Problem: Can I use an "S cable" to 15 pin vga connector in order to run prgs from notebbok to projector?
  •  Problem: Copy of the client files to the server and buckup
  •  Problem: cracked laptop screen
  •  Problem: How do I allow PPTP VPN on Apple AIrport Extreme Base Station?
  •  Problem: Anyone have hacker problems with Real VNC Enterprise and IRC Hack Tool virus?
  •  Problem: NVIDIA Motherboard problems with Virtualization Technology
  •  
    programming4us programming4us