Question : Problem: Pros and Cons of using Disk to Disk backup instead of using Disk to Tape

I am configuring a new server for a small business that I assist with thier IT.  They have a limited budget and are coming up short when the tape drive is added to the configration.  They only backup weekly and have at most 30-40 GB of data, but that will increase some over time as everyone knows.  I am thinking about having them use two external USB drives and rotate them weekly, with one stored offsite.  I have been manually copying data to one of these drives since the tape ran out of capacity some time ago. Backup Exec 10d is installed on the machine and I plan to  move the backup software to the new server.  Will BE 10d support USB drive backups?   Some research I have done says yes, some say no.  Thanks for your help.  I am aware that tape has been the gold standard for backups for some time, maybe I need to look at a used external tape drive if you think the disk to disk backup is a bad idea.  Thanks for your help.

Answer : Problem: Pros and Cons of using Disk to Disk backup instead of using Disk to Tape

>> Will BE 10d support USB drive backups?
Yes it is supported.

If you are planning to backup multiple servers and wat to use the remote agent? Make sure your server you gonnan use the remote agent on is not W2003 R2. It is not supported! Then you have to go to 11d or version 12.

If you make a full backup every 1 week. You can buy two USB-HD for $100 per disc or less and have miniumum 250Gb to your disposal. It depends on the tapes and drive you have but tapes will be more expensive because you need a new tapedrive and tapes because your old one ran out of space. So you will have more space for less money. Check your backup window USB 2.0 (High speed) will copy with 480Mb/s (60 Mbytes/second). This is a theoretical maximum. I think if everything goes well that you can choose to make a full backup everyday (if you weekly swap the HD)

Hope this will point you in the right direction.

Richard
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us