Question : Problem: Suggestions welcomed: Jumbo frames w/ 1gb connections

Hello All!

I'm aware that some here have already asked this question but I have a few more questions.

1. I have 100mb network backbone right now.  I'd like to speed that up.
2. What kind of hardware would be needed?  I was looking at an adapter that supports jumbos.  Which cards are best for this?
3. What kind of adapter do I need on the server to promote these speeds.  Some have said that pci slots are too slow.  So what do I need, PCI-e ?  
4. Also, there are devices on the network that not jumbo frame compatible.  So, I'd like to get a managed switch with VLAN support.  I could use this and separate jumbo and non jumbo devices.

Is this setup correct?  And if so what vendor do you suggest?

Thanks in advance.

Answer : Problem: Suggestions welcomed: Jumbo frames w/ 1gb connections

There is no real point to using Jumbo frames on a 100mb network.  You'll want gigabit for this, and it should have specific purpose behind it.  For example, Oracle interconnect for the back end, where Oracle natively speaks with large packets that are normally broken up into smaller pieces with 1500 byte packets.  Jumbo frames would allow it to speak more efficiently.  iSCSI is another one that would benefit from this.

As you guessed, you can not have Jumbo frame and non-Jumbo frame exist on the same network and actually talk together.  The hardware, both network cards and routers/switches need to have sufficient frame buffer space to handle Jumbo frames.

Most newer server gigabit cards support Jumbo frames, should you choose to use it.  There is no requirement for PCI over PCI-e for Jumbo frames -- this is based more on the card you are putting in it.  A single gigabit connection can work fine in even a 32bit 33MHz PCI slot, since the bus is still faster than the card can transfer.

Yes, a switch that supports Jumbo frames can route between Jumbo and non-Jumbo, but it's inefficient.  The best purpose for Jumbo frames is exclusively on it's own network and not talking to anything else outside of it's network.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us