Question : Problem: Bad HD on IBM Eserver x240?

This is an IBM Eserver x240 running windows 2000 server.  6 hard [email protected] GB a piece configured for raid 5.

I noticed one of the lights on the drive 3 coming up amber signifying a bad drive perhaps.  I shut down the server, and reseated all the drives.  Bringing the server up, I went into the RAID configureation utility only to find that there did not seem to be any problems.  As the server came up, the amber light changed to the 2nd drive.  The 3rd drive seems fine (led wise).

I'm a bit unsure how to proceed.  THe fact that the light changed to me says that it may not be a harddrive error, but rather a controller issue.

I am thinking I need to purchase a drive so that I can swap it and make sure that it is the controller indeed.  Can anyone agree with my reasoning?

#2 the server does not have the IBM ServeRaid software on it.  If I have a copy of it, v4.70 can anyone see a conflict in me installing it?  We have it installed on some netfinitiy's and some of the x230's

Thanks!
Scott

Answer : Problem: Bad HD on IBM Eserver x240?

Yes, I installed the ServerRAID and it works like a charm !

No, you don't have to reboot !

Theoretically speaking the simple task of installing the ServerRAID software won't do any harm to your software as it operates over Java !

Best Regards !

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us