Question : Problem: choppy sound with xp and vista

I'm experiencing choppy sound problems, i've done quite a bit of troubleshooting and i'm at a loss. It started when i reformated two days ago. installed vista. i have an onboard soundcard. The sound was choppy in three different software players(vlc, media player and mediaportal), I then bought a new soundcard, asus xonar. still choppy. I had micorsoft support help me last night, we went through many soundcard drivers, no avail. got tired and went back to xp professional sp2, now i had the same problem in xp, both soundcards. tried many different drivers there as well. the choppyness is only triggered when i do something that requires som cpu load, but the load doesn't have to be more than 5 %. if i play a song without touching the computer i will have about one "chop" per 30 seconds.

Any ideas

Answer : Problem: choppy sound with xp and vista

In the BIOS make sure you have DMA mode enabled for the Disk Controller, and not PIO mode. Also make sure you have installed the mainboard's chipset drivers, and also check in device manager that the controller has dma mode enabled.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us