Question : Problem: Wacom USB refresh rate in Terminal Server

Hello,

I have a client, a retinal surgeon, who runs thick clients (Vista Business) in his consulting rooms hooked up to Wacom interactive displays (DTF-720's).  They are also using Terminal Server (2008).  I have installed the Wacom software onto each of the two thick clients and the pen/display(s) still works when in a terminal server session, however, when he draws freehand to illustrate something to his patients or to write hand notes, it's as if the TS session doesn't receive data quickly enough.

To give you a better idea, if I was to draw a circle at normal drawing speed it would turn out as more of an octagon shape - capturing pen placement at spots along the path, but not the whole path.  It draws straight lines between each moment it captures a position of the pen.  If I was to draw the same circle very slowly, then it manages to do it far more accurately.

So, I thought that maybe it had something to do with the USB poll rate on the thick client, but this made no difference - so I'm certain it has something to do with the speed data is being sent to the TS session.  All clients and servers exist on a gigabit LAN, no wireless involved.  The server is an HP ProLiant ML370 - so I'm thinking it might have something more to do with TS, or at least the server where TS services are installed.

Any ideas for ramping up the rate that the TS receives pen data over the USB connection?  

Answer : Problem: Wacom USB refresh rate in Terminal Server

I've been given a solution by a colleague , it is essentially detailed here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830209

I simply needed to create a .reg file, with the following data, and run this on each thick client;

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client]
"Min Send Interval"=dword:00000010

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client]
"Min Send Interval"=dword:00000010

I'm not sure if both entries are need, but the colleague suggested the first and MS suggested the second - I added both to cover all bases and both the mouse and Wacom pen responds much more accurately!

I hope this helps other people in a similar position, it's been hassling me for a number of months!  Now, if I could just figure out how to fix this with a Wyse V10L then I'd be laughing!
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us