Question : Problem: Proview pl713s; fixing surge damage

I've a Proview pl713s LCD monitor that has suffered damage from a power surge. I opened the monitor and all the circuit boards look clean (no burns).  However, when it's given power, the power light flashes fast and continuously, but the screen stays black (with or without a signal feed).  The VGA cable connects directly to the same circuit board as the ribbon cable going to the center of the LCD screen, and this circuit board is also connected to another circuit board that has components similar to those in a PC power supply unit (and to which the power cable connects). From that circuit board, 8 wires (4 connectors) connect to the side of the LCD screen.  
The first circuit board has a microcontroller and a has sticker labeling it with 01FM713B J52-001
The second circuit board is stamped by Mirage Electronics Co. and has a sticker listing a few numbers also.
Would the surge damage have stopped at the second circuit board (maybe power is simply not getting to the LCD panel) or could there be damage to the first circuit board and possibly the microcontroler also?
Just wondering what I should try to replace to get it working without buying another monitor. Also, none of the wires that I can see are burnt or melted.  If it would help, I can provide pictures of the parts in question.
I've also posted this question at http://www.fixya.com/ThreadView.aspx?prdid=394574&thid=178232

Answer : Problem: Proview pl713s; fixing surge damage

When power surge happens, any components may burn in a device.  99.9% of the time, there is no visual clue as to where the damage is.  In most cases, the damage is in the power supply section.  That is where the power is reduced down to the 5 to 24 Volts depending on the equipment.  The first thing I would do is to test the power and see if the power is supplied to the device from outside (line power of 110V in North America and 220V in Europe and most of the world).  If there is power coming in to the device, than measure the power coming out of the power supply assembly.  Measure the output and see if there is 5V, 12, or 24V etc. coming out.  If there is power for the device, than a IC damage is the most likely scenario.  In that case I don't think I can help you.  There is even a chance that your machine was somehow hit by lightning.   If the power suply is the problem, than that is easy.  Search the internet for thousands of options in sizes and shapes for the needed part.

Good luck

Huseyin K.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us