Question : Problem: Rebuilding server with external SCSI storage array (and leaving the data on the array untouched and intact)?

I have a windows 2000 server (Dell 2550) that I am going to reformat and rebuild as Windows 2003 R2.  The server has an internal array that I am going to repartition for OS and some basic apps.

I have a large amount of user data on an external storage array (powervault 220).  It is connected to the server with a second SCSI card.  I need to verify that when I rebuild the server's OS that the user data will be untouched and intact when I load up the SCSI drivers and reattach the array.

Is it as simple as this?

Please help!

Answer : Problem: Rebuilding server with external SCSI storage array (and leaving the data on the array untouched and intact)?

Sort of...
We do this quite a lot - though with Compaq/HP equipment...(however, this is irrelevant).

First things first - backup your data.  Verify that it was succesfully backed up.

Next, you'll want to demote the existing server if it's a domain controller.
Once you shut down the 2k server, turn everything off and disconnect the external storage unit from the server.

Now boot up and proceed with your w2k3 install.

Once that's completed, and preferrably once you've got your updates applied, shutdown and reconnect the external cabinet.
You'll need to import the disk from within disk manager.

Should be a snap.
Good luck!
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us