Question : Problem: Advice on storage/backup topology

I have inherited a 2TB Snapserver (http://www.snapappliance.com/Products/18000.shtml) and a Quantum ALT SuperLoader (http://www.cs-software.com/hardware/quantum/superloader.html).  At the moment, they're not doing much so I'd like to find the most efficient use of them.

I look after one of two buildings in a medium sized Windows 2003 AD domain.  I have 1 domain controller in my building, the other building has 2.  I have 2 Windows 2003 member servers with 200Gb storage each.  Currently, 1 member server hosts student files, and the other hosts staff files; the only reason I made the split was for convenience.  I also have an NT server and 2 Linux systems that backup to their own separate tapedrives.  The other building has an exact same Snapserver model.

It has been suggested to me that I should use the Snapserver so all the other servers can write their backups to it each night (for fast recovery if so required) and allow each Snapserver (1 in each building) to backup it's half of the Snapserver to the other.  It has also been suggested that I dump the entire contents of the Snapserver to the Quantum ALT each weekend for long-term (5+ years) storage.

Is this the best way to use this kit?

Also, I'm not sure where I stand with UK privacy law when backing up data to semi-permanent long-term storage.

Many thanks,
Steve :)

Answer : Problem: Advice on storage/backup topology

Well, you could go many ways with this model and it really depends on what your business priorities are. With W2k3 you could implement DFS and Storage Server with the SnapServers. This would allow you to virtualise your storage across the sites to maintain site speed for read/write but make it look like a single storage pool. Allocating another LUN would allow you to use disk backup for fast recovery. Yes, use the DLT for long term offsite storage. (Note, offsite, not just the other site)

I personally would look to move the storage away from the file server onto the Snapserver (it is a NAS afterall). You don't mention any backup servers so I would then look to potentially upgrade out of NT4 if required onto one of the now spare W2k3 servers. The other would become a backup server connected to a tape libray (or both). If you want some resilience then yes, host both Snaps, one in each site. Have 2 storage pools on each. 1 is live sharing data, 1 is a backup from the other side. You can then replicate data cross site and give more options for recovery in event of site failure. However, consider the WAN links between buildings carefully.

Sometimes though, you cna have too much kit and you only have an estate of 7 servers, 2 NAS devices and 2 tape libraries. 1 Snap & 1 tape lib would do the job happily. You could sell the other kit if you thought you'd get some money for it.

As for data retention. Well, the DPA (1998) has demands as to what you can legally keep and for how long. I suggest you take a look at this (http://www.opsi.gov.uk/ACTS/acts1998/19980029.htm) for some detailed information. Also, there is the Freedom if Information Act but this still has some rather large holes that can be climbed through. However, if you store it, expect to be able to recover and deliver it to someone if they ask.

Hope this helps
Barny
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us