Question : Problem: Media Pool setup options for this backup system, can you give me the settings please?

Hi

I have CA Arcserve Backup 11.5 for Windows.  Installed properly on a win 2003 server, with an external tape drive, all working ok.  I need to create the media pools for the following system, with the appropriate options set.  Can someone with Arcserve experience help me please?

Media plan:

Daily - 4 tapes in the system, used mon - thur then overwritten the following week.
Weekly - 5 tapes in the system - used one tape a week for 5 weeks then start overwriting.
Monthly - 12 tapes in the system - use one tape on last friday of the month, then start overwriting after a year.

When trying to create the media pools in Arcserve i have the following options:

Pool Name
Base Serial Number
Serial Number Range
Minimum number of media in save set
Retention time days
Prune Retention time in days

If someone can give me the settings for the above system that would be great.  Thanks!!!

Answer : Problem: Media Pool setup options for this backup system, can you give me the settings please?

On the Schedule Tab when you create a Backup Job choose the 5 Day GFS Job with Full Backup on Friday and Incrementals/Differentials on Mon-Thursday. This will create three media pools. Leave things to the default. That will suffice your needs exactly. However if you dont want GFS then here is the settings for the three media pools you need to use. Please dont worry about serial numbers. Just assign any random serial numbers separated by like 10000 numbers apart.

DAILY POOL : Daily - 4 tapes in the system, used mon - thur then overwritten the following week.

Pool Name: GFS_DLY
Base Serial Number: 1100000
Next Serial Number: 1100000
Serial Number Range: 100000
Min No. of Media in the Save Set: 3
Retention Time (days): 6
Prune Retention Time (Days): 0

WEEKLY POOL: Weekly - 5 tapes in the system - used one tape a week for 5 weeks then start overwriting.

Base Serial Number: 1200000
Next Serial Number: 1200000
Min No. of Media in the Save Set: 4
Retention Time (days): 34

MONTHLY POOL: Monthly - 12 tapes in the system - use one tape on last friday of the month, then start overwriting after a year.

Base Serial Number: 1300000
Next Serial Number: 1300000
Min No. of Media in the Save Set: 11
Retention Time (days): 343

This should suffice your needs.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us