Question : Problem: Error initializing serial port - internal modem

I get the error message:

An error occurred while initializing the serial port.  It may already be in use.

When I try to initialize the internal modem out of either Config PPP or Netscape Navigator.  The connection through the twisted pair transceiver works fine, if I set the TCP/IP to Ethernet.  But setting the TCP/IP to Mac PPP produces the error message.

The system is a Powerbook 540c.  I got the Powerbook used, and have no manuals, but believe the internal modem is a Global Village 14,400.  The 540c has 20MB RAM, 170MB Hard drive free, and works on Mac OS 7.6.1

I also have a 5300cs running on identical software that works fine off a Megahertz PC Card modem, and the only change necessary to go from Ethernet to modem is switching the TCP/IP setting in control panel.

Is the problem hardware or software?  Am I missing a setting somewhere?  The config PPP setting is on Internal Modem, so the system seems to know an internal modem is there.  It just cannot initialize it.

Answer : Problem: Error initializing serial port - internal modem

The software is not available for free download; it must be purchased (which I think is a load of crap, but I don't make the rules). Global Village sells it for (I think) $40, but The PowerBook Guy (www.powerbookguy.com) probably has it for less than that. Once you buy/install the software everything should work right.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us