Question : Problem: Accessing remote computer through AirPort Network

This seems like it should be simple, but I've yet to figure out the solution. Any help is greatly appreciated!

I have a PowerBook G4 and need access to a remote G5 tower which is in another nearby city, connected to a private Airport Network (AirPort Extreme 802.11n). The Airport Network is set up to distribute IP addresses to those connected in the range of 10.0.0.1-255. So the computer's IP address is 10.0.0.1 The actual IP assigned to the modem is something along the lines of 207.192.243.38.

My question is, how can I remotely access the computer (any method is fine: FTP, Personal File Sharing, Remote Login, SSH, etc.) through this network?

By using the 207.192.243.38 address (Connect to server...) alone, I can't get in.  It prompts me with a login screen for the AirPort Extreme, and then asks which volume to mount from an empty list.   And of course 10.0.0.1 won't get me anywhere. I know there's a work-around, I just don't know what it is... Help!!!

I can administer both computers and the AirPort Extreme.

Answer : Problem: Accessing remote computer through AirPort Network

1- your G5 behind the router needs to have a static IP
2- then, on your router you will need to setup port forwarding.  Port forwarding will then send the traffic FROM the internet to your computer behind the internet router as the G5's IP in non-routable
3- the ports you need to set up for forwarding  are 21TCP(FTP), 222TCP(SSH), 548TCP(AFP) and 427UDP(svrloc)
4- you should also do this on both routers if you want to share files back and forth.

Check your routers documentation on where to set this up....
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us