Question : Problem: Multiple users can not use the same model local POS printer

I have a client with a 2003 Terminal server, no Citrix, and no printer management add-ons. All standard printers such as basic HP lasers work fine.

The client also uses Epson TM-T88II POS (point of sale) receipt printers. Each of the Epsons is connected to LPT1, via parallel cable to the client machines, and each POS has it's own Epson printer. These are older printers which use NT/2000 kernel mode drivers. Group Policy has been set to allow the kernel mode driver installation (disabled by default).

It appears that if any one user connects with one of these printers, the printer shows up in their terminal server session and works without issue. If a second user connects, their printer is available 80% of the time at connection, and will occasionally be dropped throughout the day. If a 3rd user connects their printer is never available in the printer list. If the other users log off, the 3rd user has no problems.

The event log shows the printer is detected, and then deleted. This often hapens if the print driver name is not identical on host and client, but that is not the case here.

Has anyone heard of an issue where multiple printers cannot "share" the same driver? I am wondering if this is due to the older kernel mode drivers, which I am not familiar with. All newer user mode drivers for other printers, work in every situation. Newer drivers are available, but they do not work at all, and various sites advise not to use them.

I am assuming the solution is new printers & drivers, but curious if anyone has seen this problem.

Thanks,
--Rob

Answer : Problem: Multiple users can not use the same model local POS printer

I have seen this once before and unfortuantley the ansswer was in your last sentance. My client had no problem with going to the expence of new thermal printers so i did not invetigate to long so there still may be an answer out there. But if they are paying for your time then it may be more economical to decide its time to refresh the old equipment.

Regards
Andrew
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us