Question : Problem: New Computer Old Printer - new cable - failed to print

Help!, I need help quickly.  I bought a new computer (Dell) and it doesn't have an LPT conneciton (?) so I bought a new cable that hooks up to the old kind of connection on my "Lexmark 3200" and to a USB port on the computer.  
#1 - It finds the printer and lists it in my printers but every time I try to print - it says "This document failed to print".
#2 - A friend took the printer and both cables (old & new) and plugged in the lpt1 conneciton and it worked - then she switched to the USB cable and it worked after she switched the port to the usb port.  - Brought it back to me - but still no luck.  She noted that when she checked the ports on her computer it showed the Lexmark on a USB port - but on my computer there were a couple of ports showing but it was showing the printer located on the LPT1 and not on a usb like it did on her computer.

What could possibly but the difference... could it be the USB cable - is it possible it is a USB 1 and all the ports on the new computer are USB2 or something like that?  I am Stumped!

Answer : Problem: New Computer Old Printer - new cable - failed to print

If I understand your problem, you need to change your 'default' to the USB port, not the lpt1. There are different ways to access your printer drivers, depending on your windows version.. Go to your 'properties' tab under the printer 'driver', look for the 'ports' tab. You will have COM ports, LPT ports and USB ports. Your USB 'default' will allow the computer to 'talk' to the printer correctly.  Good luck
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us